12.14.2010

cramps, crafts & creamed whiskey

ah yes, the perfect combination of tools for a rainy day of putting off homesteading projects. I've been wanting to make an up-cycled woolen skirt for this winter and thankfully own the perfect Melanzana skirt to create a pattern off of. After a trip to the Goodwill, I found 2 mens 100% merino wool sweaters made in Italy. In good condition, with a fine hand and amply sized, I thought they would make good items to felt, then deconstruct. See below for the process made perfect by may angry uterus, creamed whiskey on ice, Mojave 3 and driving rain.
daphne rests while I sew in her hidey hole
felted wool sweater snippets
simple design that I ripped off and created 4 panels with 2 different sweaters.
time for assembly
sometimes saving the bottom hem of a large sweater can be great to use as the waist band, which is what I did. It added just a little more form to the waist without making it to bulky. Because the wool is felted, it doesn't pill or unravel, making unfinished ends a breeze.
pinned up and ready for the 403

first I sewed the front middle panel over each side panel, then attached the waist band
then attached the waist band to the back panel and sewed it over the sides
I used a very small zigzag good for knits and it lent just the perfect amount of elasticity to the skirt, without feeling like the tread would break. This is the finished front.
and back
and side
2 left over sleeves from one of the sweaters, soon to become "gas station stockings"
Bob and I are driving back to the midwest next week for the Holidays. I was feeling a bit sad about not having decorated for the season, but then came up with a great road trip idea! First, to decorate the rental car with bows and battery operated lights. Second, to hang stockings in the rear windows and each time we stop to get gas we have to purchase something for the other persons stocking...."Gas Station Stocking". When we get to Ohio, we can break into those slim jim, snow ball, red bull, tape cassette bearing socks of goodness.
Happy Road Trip Holidays! Happy Cramps, Crafts & Creamed Whiskey!

No comments:

Post a Comment